Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mid week status report

Oh, my it has been a busy week at work and the weather here in Kansas has been everchanging and delightful.  Fall has begun and our days change between seasons and sometimes the seasons change during the day, how amazing.  In the last 5 days we have had 70 degree weather, sunshine, rain, frost, a couple of hard freezes, we've felt aftershocks from Oklahoma's earthquakes, had snow fall last night and wind that will push you over like a leaf.  Did I cover all the bases?  Good, that's Kansas for ya.

Work has been busy, boss is out today through the end of the week so the beginning of the week was filled with completing his "TO DO" list before he left to go on a vacation.  Those are always fun, he has a list he wants done before he leaves town and your list or plan for the week goes out the window.  So today I am back to my plan, my list and I decided to take a few minutes to update my blog and say hello to you all. 

HELLO!!

I am working on the market tote bags.  I am nearly finished with the first one.  I have had a few setbacks and am really glad I started with the bag for myself so I can work out the kinks in how I put it together.  I showed my mom and sister what the bag looks like so far and their original luke warm reception of the idea has changed to straight up enthusiasm.  They are both excited to have me start their bags, they love the inside pockets I have added and both have asked for the straps to be customized to their shoulder drop.  YEA!

Mom has made lots of headway on her quilt.  She is doing a 12 block lap quilt of terrier puppies.  The applique stitching has been an undertaking but she hasn't gotten discouraged and I am really impressed with it so far.  I will take some pics and post them, if she is ok with that. 

Tonight is NO TV SEWING ONLY night. 

Did I tell you I got my book in the mail?  I ordered a copy of "Mayflower" by Nathaniel Philbrick.  Here is a link to the book on Amazon:

Mayflower 

My dear friend Virginia just finished a Brown Bag Lunch Series and this was the book they all read.  She said that it really gave her a better picture of what the pilgrims were really like and what really happened in the first 60 years they were in Plymouth.  I am really looking forward to reading it.  Since joining DAR I have realized I have an interest in our country's history.  A few weeks ago PBS aired a special on "The War of 1812".  It was very enlightening and I had no idea what a clustermess that war was, but then again aren't they all?  I also didn't know that our President Madison left his wife Dolly unprotected in DC and she not only had to get herself out of the city she also had the foresight to take the portrait of George Washington.  Dolly knew that if the British got their hands on it they would have considered it a coup to capture the iconic picture of our first president and probably would have destroyed it.  I definitely want to read more about her, she sounds like a woman of intelligence, resourcefullness and courage. 

I hope you have a wonderful day and it is full of blessings from our Lord.  I will be on later to update the pics of mom's quilt and my tote bag, hopefully with finished pictures. 

Blessings,
Jan

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan! This is Amanda from The Ivy Cottage Blog! Just stopping by to check everything out. Congrats on the new blog! I hope you love blogging as much as I do . . . look forward to following you.
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jan! How lovely to meet you! Isn't it amazing how we can meet people from all around the world through blogging. It is also funny hearing about your cold weather as we are heading into summer and the days are getting warm and humid!

    Thanks so much for following me and for your sweet comments. I look forward to following you and learning more about Kansas!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete